Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Legal advice about my employer.?

I started waiting tables at a restaurant in nyc and got my first pay check for 22 hours of work for a total of $104.50 before deductions. The deductions for this first check were:


FIFCA: $14.41


FED WT: $9.82


NY ST: $2.45


NY DIS: $.60


Total of deductions:$29.28


My net take home pay was: $75.22





On my second week check for 35 hours the gross pay was $166.25. The deductions for this check were:


FIFCA: $53.30


FED WT: 79.89


NY ST:$29.59


NY DIS:.$.60


Total deductions: $163.38


My net take home pay was: $2.87





I asked someone about it %26amp; was told we are charged for customer credit cards transactions instead of the restaurant paying for it. This is the first time I ever heard of this and I have been bartending and waiting for eight years. But there is nothing on the pay stub that says anything about credit card transactions, so why is 96% of my pay missing? How do I find out about the legal aspects of this %26amp; how do I report this? I need the job so quitting isn't an option.Legal advice about my employer.?
I am not a CPA, but as I understand...





Employers are required to withhold taxes on tip income. The withholding is based on what tips you report to your employer, which you should be doing at least monthly.





If you report no tips, or an amount that seems too small compared to your receipts, then the employer is required to withhold taxes based on a percentage of the restaurant's gross receipts. In other words, it will be presumed that you received tips amounting to a certain percentage of the transactions, then taxed on that amount.





It's a little more complicated than how I've explained it here (it is an IRS thing, after all). Talk to your employer.Legal advice about my employer.?
call u.s. dept.labor.it is illegal to take anything out of your paycheck without your permission.short drawers,bad checks,anything,period.to much taken out in all taxes.what did you claim in tips?
Do you get cash that night for your credit card tips? If so, then it's possible that you're expected to use the credit card machine to enter in your tips and close them out at the end of the night. If you don't do that, they can't charge the customer for your tip and then you'll have to give them the tip back (since they had already given you the cash for it).





I'd ask about that if I were you.
Call the Department Of Labor. They can direct you of who to speak with.
ask whoever is your boss....if they arent doing anything bad they will tell you....and i dont think thats right at all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment