Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Need some advice about talk about self-harm with a friend?

I just found out a friend of mine is beginning to self-harm (cutting)





I feel like I need to help because myself I am a self-harmer for 4 years now on/off.





I'm going to speak to my friend, but I just don't know what to say!


She keeps saying ';don't worry!'; which is very annoying, although I know I've said the exact same things when my friends first found out about my self-harm.


I do still cut myself, but I'm sort of ';sorted'; it doesn't bother me, I'm very safe- I'm only mentioning it in this question because I need help on what to say to my friend, she knows I do it already... but should I discuss my mistakes? Or what?


Please help! This is the first time I've ever been on the other side of the self-harm issue, I really didn't realise how hard it is for the friends...


Need some advice about talk about self-harm with a friend?
Hello,





Let your friend know that you are there for her no matter what, let her know you self harm and come to a desion where you can both get help together and stop harming yourselfs, what ever reason you both do it, just please stop, it might be hard but if you put your mind to it any is possible !!





Try ringing self harming help lines!! and explain to them, they will help you best or even so see a doctor and get advice for yourself and your friend.





When you have someone to talk to it really does make you feel so much better x





Feel free to add me as a contact!!





I do argee the '; dont worry '; thing is annoying but i have to admit when im upset and someone says whats wrong i do say dont worry...





All the best and good luck xNeed some advice about talk about self-harm with a friend?
Well try to think about what you would like people to say to you. She's probably saying 'don't worry' because she doesn't want you to worry (go figure :p) but she might really want someone to talk to. Does she know you self-harm? If she doesn't, tell her and she might feel like she can open up to you. If she does know, then maybe tell her how much better you feel now you have it under control.





Most importantly just be there for her when she wants to talk about any of her problems.





Good luck. :)
It's a very sad thing. I used to work at a phone 'hotline' and I talked to 'cutters'.





But as a self-harmer yourself you have a unique opportunity to understand your friend. You just be a good listener, be non-judgmental, let her talk and give her feedback. In this case you just want to be a friend, a friend being a person you can tell anything. Just having someone to talk to, some who understands, can be an enormous help. You can't do much more than that, but that's a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment