Saturday, December 19, 2009

Can I have some advice about my friend? She鈥檚 one of these people who you have to match in communication.?

e.g. I chose to communicate with her by email, and messages, as we鈥檙e really only ex-work colleagues, but we decided to keep in touch. When she rings me and leaves me a message on my mobile, I respond via email only (usually or now and again I just leave her a message on her phone). She then goes all huffy and I never hear from her. She鈥檚 told me in the past, that she can鈥檛 understand why I can鈥檛 ring her sometimes. I just prefer email communication, as it鈥檚 cheaper. What should I do about her? I don鈥檛 really think she needs to tell me at 35 how to communicate. Besides, I'm arranging a night out for us to the theatre and guess which mug is booking the tickets?Can I have some advice about my friend? She鈥檚 one of these people who you have to match in communication.?
There is nothing like a good natter (face to face OR telephone) with a mate. There are some things e-mail/texting just cannot communicate. BUT....... I think the problem here is not her but that you just don't think this is a good or worthwhile or fun or important or special friendship. And that's OK. You are (at 35) allowed to decide who you want to spend your precious time with, talking or meeting up with. Don't feel guilty.Can I have some advice about my friend? She鈥檚 one of these people who you have to match in communication.?
Compromise.





Instead of always texting her or emailing her, just call her once in awhile, and email her the rest of the time. Tell her that's just you, that you don't really like talking on the phone and you prefer to email. Please don't tell her, you prefer emails cause it's cheaper... :).





best wishes
Sometimes you have to go the extra mile in order to keep the friendship alive. Call her and explain to her that you prefer to communicate via e-mail as it is cheaper so you can chat for longer. Maybe she is wary of e-mail because she doesn't understand the abbreiviated language used sometimes or that you cannot accurately gauge how someone is really feeling without hearing the tone of their voice. Why not alternate it so that sometimes she calls you and sometimes you e-mail her and get the best of both worlds that way.
Its a phone call and it wont kill you.
Have you tried telling her what you think about your situation?
Ouch, Just phone her back then she won't go all huffy...





Haven't you arranged to get half the money off her for the tickets, you should ring her and ask :)
Although you see the merits of keeping in touch by e-mail it is obvious that your friend thinks that this form of communication is impersonal.





You should try talking to your friend and explain your position, but it wouldn't hurt to pick up the phone from time to time. After all it's good to talk...
I think I'd find you very hard work too. I need verbal communication. Email and texts are fine for organising details, but to find out how someone is doing, you really do have to pick up the phone. It's not that expensive at all! Call in the evenings to her landline. If you really don't like the phone, you have to arrange to meet her more often. Basically, if you can't be bothered to phone, you'll lose her as a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment